By Belinda Raines
The ECerS Summer School will take place August 21 and 22, 2020, prior to the Electroceramics XVII conference, August 24 – 27, 2020, in Darmstadt, Germany. The events are organized by the Materials Science Department of the Technische Universität Darmstadt in collaboration with the European Ceramic Society (ECerS).
The topic of this year’s Summer School will be “Characterization and Modeling of Electroceramics.” Participants will learn about the requirements to obtain optimal results from various techniques. Examples of cutting-edge research will illustrate the respective advantages and new developments. Topics will include:
• Structural characterization by x-ray diffraction and electron microscopy
• Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) & electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) methods
• X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS)
• Electrical analysis by impedance spectroscopy
• Nano- and mesoscale modeling
• Life cycle analysis of ceramics
Additionally, a visit to the European Space Operations Center (ESOC) is planned and there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange ideas with colleagues and lecturers taking part in the summer school.
The Ceramic and Glass Industry Foundation (CGIF) and The American Ceramic Society (ACerS) are offering up to $1,000 in travel support to selected undergraduate, graduate, and Ph.D. students from non-European based universities. To be eligible for consideration, applicants must be members of The American Ceramic Society, Material Advantage, Keramos, or the ACerS Global Graduate Researcher Network.
Students wishing to apply for CGIF financial assistance are strongly encouraged to first secure support from their home institutions for the experience. To determine ACerS support eligibility, students must submit the following:
- a completed application
- a brief letter of recommendation from a faculty member
- a one- or two-page letter of interest explaining: 1. the relevance of the summer school to their field of study or career ambitions 2. other sources of financial support with amounts
Click here for the application.
The required application documents can be emailed to Belinda Raines, Program Manager, at email@example.com by June 1, 2020. Visit the program website to register for the Summer School or for additional information.