By Belinda Raines
“Great job! You really managed to make me more excited about the whole ceramic community!”
“Great experience! Really well organized!”
According to the post-event feedback from participants, the 6th annual Winter Workshop, presented by The American Ceramic Society and The Ceramic and Glass Industry Foundation, was a greatly appreciated educational event, which took place virtually on January 28 & 29, 2021.
There were 44 participants representing students and young professionals from the United States and 12 international countries. Two sessions of approximately five hours each consisted of technical sessions and professional development activities.
Featured lectures and speakers were:
· Data Science for Advancing Ceramic Science by Dr. Krishna Rajan, University at Buffalo
· CMC TPS and Hot Structures for Hypersonic Vehicles by Dr. David Glass, NASA Langley Research Center
· Culture and Support Systems facilitated by Lynnora Grant, Rachel Woods-Robinson and Jessica Wade
· Social Impact of Ceramic Technology by Tim Dyer, President of Elcon Precision (view with passcode 9kEE#HAJ)
· Challenges on Clays and Concrete in Infrastructure and the Built Environment by Claudiane Ouellet-Plamondon, École de technologie supérieure, in Montreal
· Additive Manufacturing for Advanced Ceramics by Nick Ku, CCDC-US Army Research Laboratory
The event also featured a Collaborative Research Exchange in which students presented 10-minute presentations of their current research efforts.
Click here to view the Winter Workshop program and speaker bios.